United States Department of Agriculture
• 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed
• 1 cup onion, diced
• 2 cups mushrooms, diced
• 1½ Tbsp butter
• 2 Tbsp flour
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• .1/8. tsp black pepper
• 1./8. tsp garlic powder
• ¾ tsp salt
• 16 low sodium whole wheat crackers
• 1 tsp olive oil
• ½ tsp onion powder
Sarah’s Green Bean Casserole
Nutrition analysis by SuperTracker.usda.gov
My Recipe Details (per portion)
Total Calories 116 Calories
Grains ½ oz
Vegetables 1 cup
Dairy ¼ cup
Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 274 mg
1. Blanch the green beans in boiling water for about 3 minutes for crisper beans, longer for a softer texture.
Then plunge in ice water. Drain and set aside.
2. Place diced onions and mushrooms in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 1.5 minutes on high to
soften. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter over medium heat. Once heated, stir in .our with a whisk and cook for about 2 minutes
4. Whisk in the milk and cook over low heat until you have a thick white sauce.
5. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
6. Stir the drained green beans, onions, and mushrooms into the white sauce.
7. Pour into a casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray.
8. Crush the crackers and toss cracker crumbs with olive oil and onion powder. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
9. Bake at 350 °F for about 30 minutes or until crackers are golden brown.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.